Monday, August 24, 2015

Detmold reloaded

Hey folks!

Among the little states that formed the so called Rheinbund was the Principality of Lippe. It was a small state with Detmold as a capital and never sent more then a batallion into active duty.
This battalion served both in Tyrol and in Spain and was finally newly setup in 1811 after facing a lot of losses in the catalonian campaign.

When Napoleon attacked Russia in 1812, these troops were integrated into the 5th Rheinbund regiment which was set together by troops from the principalities of Lippe and Anhalt.

The prinicipality units formed the so called 'division princiƩre under the command of General Daendels, eventually becoming part of the 34th division under General Morand. They saw action at Kowno and Wilna, where later stationed as garrison troops of the fortress of Danzig from where only a few men returned home.

The old ones:


I painted the fusiliers on basis of a uniform sheet several years ago - they were in fact my first bring-and-show-contribution for the very first FIGZ I visited.  That was even before I really was engaged in that Pre-Bardin-uniform project. In the meantime, the way of presentation - basing, style, intention - has changed very much.

In addition, I not only found Knoetel pictures about Lippe units, but also a Histofig plate. They showed the complete range of unifoms of this battalion and as I found it unlikely to scrape off the old figures from their sandy base, I just decided to paint this unit once more.


No, that's not a painting error on the drummers' pompom and the grenadiers plume. It's a light reflex. :-(

Plus I found some new uniform plates for Frankfurt soldiers - so I'm sorry that I'll have to refurbish that unit as well. And colonial units... My oh my...




1 comment: